1. What is kiosk mode and why do I need it?
Kiosk mode will allow you to run a single app on a Chrome device and lock it down so no one can interfere with it. It's useful if you're using the screen in a public area. Also, if there's a power failure or the app crashes for some reason, the device will auto-launch the app again.
We highly recommended using kiosk mode with Chrome devices to provide you with an optimal digital signage experience, in addition to providing additional features for your device. Using a Chrome license to setup your Chrome device in kiosk mode provides a number of benefits and features for your digital signage device, such as:
- View internet signal and connection strength
2. Using ScreenCloud without kiosk mode, how does this affect me?
Kiosk mode is not required to run the ScreenCloud app on a Chrome device but it is recommended for a few reasons which will greatly improve your experience. Here are some reasons why we don't recommend using the ScreenCloud player app without kiosk mode:
- The ScreenCloud app will not start automatically once the device is turned on
- The ScreenCloud app will not automatically re-launch if the device crashes or restarts
- The device is less-locked down and the ScreenCloud app can be exited to use other services
- Lack of remote updates and remote reboots, as well as no device reporting and lessened app stability
See how to set up a Chrome device with Chrome Device Management here.
4. Recommended Chrome device management settings
You can schedule your Chrome device to reboot by specifying the Number of days before reboot. The device will be rebooted after that given number of days. You can find this option by performing the following:
- Visit the "Device Settings" page
- Click on "Chrome Management"
- Click on "Device Settings", scroll down to Power & Shutdown and then enter 1 under Scheduled Reboot: Number of days before reboot; leave empty for unset.
You want to make sure that your device is in the correct timezone in the current location otherwise your schedule may not work as it should. Please refer to this page from Google about the setting.
You can enter your email address and phone number to receive alerts of when your device goes offline: