This guide covers an overview of the key differences between features, resources, and digital signage tools available between ScreenCloud Studio (new version since 2019) and ScreenCloud Signage (old version since 2015) platforms.
Table of contents:
1. ScreenCloud Studio or ScreenCloud Signage: Which platform am I using?
- ScreenCloud Studio (2019) can be accessed by visiting https://studio.screencloud.com. Once logged in, you'll be greeted to your Studio dashboard as exampled below.
- ScreenCloud Signage (2015) can be accessed by visiting https://signage.screen.cloud/. Once logged in, you'll be greeted to your Signage dashboard as exampled below.
2. What is similar and different between the features of each platform?
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) is an entire revamp and overhaul of the original digital signage platform, ScreenCloud Signage (2015). Below is a summary of the new features and user interface in comparison to the old platform.
Screens are relatively managed the same between both platforms, though ScreenCloud Studio has added features for managing your screens, including:
- Ability to tag screens with keywords or phrases to quickly search for
- Can add data and API keys for developer control over screens
- Can add notes to screens for personal references or details for teammates
- Manage bulk updates easily, such as screen takeovers with casting and setting channels
- Manage and set which group a screen belongs to without needing to drag/drop it between groups
- Monitor what casts (screen takeovers) are playing on your screens and switch them on or off
- Search bar to quickly narrow down screens you manage using keywords
- View screen connectivity status, device, and timezone information
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) Screens section example:
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) Screens section example:
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) functioned with a week-by-week managed scheduling system. ScreenCloud Studio (2019) controls schedules through a feature called "Channels" which provides dynamic and advanced scheduling options. Channels function similarly to a TV channel, it allows you to group content according to departments, topics, themes, locations, or any way you'd like. This feature also now controls the zone layout feature for splitting screens into multiple zones, while ScreenCloud Signage (2015) controlled this in the "Screens" section.
Channels provide the ability to schedule content for specific days of the week, times, and future dates. For example, you can set something to display every Thursday at 4pm, display on the 12th of each month, or set pieces of content in channels to display on an upcoming holiday. You have an entire range of flexibility and control over scheduling your content.
Scheduling and features:
- Set up advanced and specific schedules
- Can set activation or expiry dates for specific pieces of content
- Management over reviewing content and drafts before publishing live to screens
- Grouping content to play across one, or multiple, screens
- Gives every team, department, or location a voice with their own channel
- Channels can contain multiple playlists, individual pieces of content, apps, links, and more
- Zone layout to split your screen into sections for displaying multiple items at the same time
- Preview channels to review and browse through what's currently playing and what's scheduled
- Search bar to quickly narrow down channels you manage using keywords
- Share channels between teams to easily coordinate on content
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) Channels section example:
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) Schedules section example:
Playlists between ScreenCloud Studio (2019) and ScreenCloud Signage (2015) are still relatively managed in the same way, with added features such as:
- Setting default durations for specific types of media (i.e. 1:00 default for images, 2:00 for apps, etc.)
- Manage any changes and drafts before they're published live to your screens
- Set colors for playlists (similar to Signage) to categorize and manage them conveniently
- Ability to tag playlists with keywords or phrases to quickly search for
- Cast and take over any of your screens immediately with playlists
- Search bar to quickly narrow down playlists you manage using keywords
- Share playlists between teams to easily coordinate on content
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) Playlists example:
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) Playlists example:
2.4. Media Library
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) managed uploaded content and media through the "Content Library" section of your account. ScreenCloud Studio (2019) manages this content through the new "Media Library". This includes a new set of features available to maximize organizing and using your content, such as:
- Ability to set availability and expiration dates/times for any piece of content
- Automatic alphabetized sorting for the names set for content and folders
- Ability to multi-select pieces of content and add or move them between folders
- Upload multiple files at the same time
- Can star/set favorited content or tag with keywords or phrases to quickly search for
- Search bar to quickly narrow down media you manage using keywords
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) Media Library example:
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) Media Library example:
2.5. Links: Adding websites and password protected sites
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) had the ability to add and manage websites through the "Content Library" using the "Add Website" feature. This system only has the ability to display public websites using iFrame technology.
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) follows a similar functionality for adding websites, in addition to:
- Adding webpages and links to display on your digital screens
- Can star/set favorited websites or tag with keywords or phrases to quickly search for
- View live previews of how the site renders and will display on your screens
- Search bar to quickly narrow down websites you manage using keywords
Please note that websites with restrictions to display on third-party apps may have trouble displaying in the ScreenCloud player. Our team is also working on introducing services for adding secure dashboards and private sites which require a login. If you have any questions about displaying a website or developments on our services, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the website URL you're attempting to use.
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) Links example:
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) Adding Websites example:
2.6. App Store
ScreenCloud's App Store between both platforms still functions relatively the same with our selection of 80+ apps. The App Store now has a handful of feature improvements, including:
- Keep track of apps individually and view the number of instances installed per-app used
- Ability to bulk manage app instances (i.e. can uninstall "Twitter Search" which deletes all instances)
- Manage to cast and control immediate screen takeovers using any app instance
- Search bar to quickly narrow down apps you manage using keywords
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) Apps Store example:
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) Apps Store example:
2.7. People, Groups, and Spaces (Users & Teams)
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) has advanced feature sets for managing users and teams invited into your ScreenCloud account. This is now managed through People, Groups, and Spaces. This allows you to manage controls for specific user roles, access permissions, security, and segments for your account. This feature allows for more oversight of who has access to what content, who can approve or change content, and monitor administrative authorizations on the ScreenCloud account.
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) managed user invites to your ScreenCloud account based on the "Users & Teams" feature. This feature is limited to creating separate teams for managing users and setting roles for admins or non-admins. Admins have the ability to switch between all teams, access billing, and have full permissions to all content/screens. Non-admins have the ability to only view the segment (team) they've been invited to and have full permissions to all content/screens.
To learn more about how to manage People, Groups, and Spaces with ScreenCloud, please click here.
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) People, Spaces, and Groups example:
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) Users & Teams example:
2.8. Casting and screen takeovers
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) gives you the ability to instantly send content to a screen. Using this feature, you can immediately take over any screen with any file, playlist, app, etc. and cast it to any screen(s) of your choice. This feature is not available on ScreenCloud Signage (2015), content can only be switched over automatically in bulk via scheduling or by manually updating screens in the account.
This feature can take over any content currently playing on screen, then resume your normal playlist by turning off the cast manually at any time you'd like from within your ScreenCloud account.
2.9. Zone layouts and splitting your screens into sections
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) provides advanced zone layout controls and screens can be split using the Channels feature. This is a shift from the functionality of ScreenCloud Signage (2015), which allows you to control zone layouts and splitting screens directly from the "Screens" section of your account once a device is paired with your account.
Additionally, ScreenCloud Studio (2019) zone layouts can be customized using a CSS code editor. ScreenCloud Signage (2015) zone layouts can only be customized using a custom value percentage editor.
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) Zone layout examples from "Channels":
ScreenCloud Signage (2015) Zone layout examples from "Screens":
2.10. SSO (Single Sign-On) and auth0 for secure logins
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) introduces a new system for secure sign-ins and authentication. Single sign-on (SSO) is a user authentication session service that allows users to manage one set of login credentials to access multiple services or applications. For example, this is useful and commonly used for security purposes across organizations, enterprise companies, or individuals to help minimize the application of various login credentials.
ScreenCloud Studio (2019) uses secure services like auth0 (https://auth0.com/docs/identityproviders. If you have any questions regarding this, please reach out to our team at email@example.com. We can help put you in touch with our security and technical teams further to help with setting up SSO or with your inquiries.
3. How can I receive support for questions or issues while using either platform?
You can access the help center for each platform by visiting the websites provided below to browse and search through support articles on various topics:
Content is updated daily for each help center. If you have any questions or feedback related to the support content, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to the article.
4. I'd like to use ScreenCloud Studio, how can I get started?
To get started with using ScreenCloud Studio, please refer to the following instructions below. We also recommend to check out how to use and set up ScreenCloud Studio by clicking here.
- If you're a new ScreenCloud member (no pre-existing account), please visit https://studio.screencloud.com to sign up for a fourteen-day free trial to get started.
- If you're an existing ScreenCloud Signage member (with a pre-existing account), we also recommend to sign up for a new Studio account at https://studio.screencloud.com as this platform is separate and not connected to your ScreenCloud Signage account. We recommend to then reach out to email@example.com to cancel your existing ScreenCloud Signage account. All data can only be currently transferred manually from a Signage to a new Studio account, but our team is currently working on developing a migration process for transferring account data. If you have questions about transferring your content and/or data, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any additional questions on ScreenCloud Studio or Signage, or any other questions or feedback about ScreenCloud, feel free to reach out to our support team at email@example.com or give us a call at our toll-free support line at +18885575335.