This article will go through how to use People, Groups, and Spaces to manage users and team segments within your ScreenCloud Studio account. This feature replaces the previous Users & Teams feature from ScreenCloud Signage (Old Platform Version from 2015). You can learn more about the differences and features of both platforms by clicking here.
With this feature, you can:
- Invite new users (People) to your ScreenCloud account via an invite email
- Set user-specific roles (Groups) for administrators, owners, managers, creators, and viewers
- Manage users (People) across specific Spaces (collection of screens, content, and media)
- Have flexibility over users and teams accessing your account, with specific or grouped permissions
Table of contents:
1. People: invite and add users to your account
1.1. People overview
"People" is where you can invite and add an unlimited number of users to your ScreenCloud account. You can add users, then later assign them into groups (i.e. to set account privileges) and spaces (i.e. teams, segments, and collection of media). You can manage all users/groups, organization owners, and those with access via SSO (Single Sign-On) from this section of your ScreenCloud account. This area of your account has three sections:
i) All: this is where you can view an entire summary of all the members you've invited to your ScreenCloud account.
ii) Owners: this is also where you can manage primary ownership and owners of your ScreenCloud account. As an owner, you have access to everything in the organization and you're able to do make any changes to all screens.
This is set by default for the original owner of a ScreenCloud account. This provides you with full-administrative and billing access over any area of the account with all functions. Account owners are managed at https://studio.screencloud.com/people/owners, you can use this portal to send invites to additional users you'd like to have ownership permissions for your ScreenCloud account.
You can also invite any email address to your account and transfer primary ownership of the ScreenCloud account to the new user. The primary owner is noted as the main contact for the company if you decide to add multiple owners to your account.
iii) SSO (Single Sign-On): manages a system for secure sign-ins and authentication. Single sign-on (SSO) is a user authentication session service that allows users to manage one set of login credentials to access multiple services or applications. For example, this is useful and commonly used for security purposes across organizations, enterprise companies, or individuals to help minimize the application of various login credentials.
ScreenCloud uses secure services like auth0 (https://auth0.com/docs/identityproviders. If you have any questions regarding this, please reach out to our team at email@example.com. We can help put you in touch with our security and technical teams further to help with setting up SSO or with your inquiries.
1.2. How to invite people to your account
- Get started by visiting https://studio.screencloud.com/people. From here, click on the yellow "Invite People" button to begin adding a new email address to your ScreenCloud account.
- Enter any valid email address into the "Invite people by email" section.
- Once you're done adding the emails you'd like to invite, you can also select a group for your user to be assigned to. This can be done by clicking the "Select Group" drop-down menu to view any groups that are being managed in your ScreenCloud account. For example, if a new user was assigned to the "Marketing" group, they will be listed underneath this group during the invite process. If a user is not assigned to a group, they will appear as "Ungrouped". Please note, you can assign and rearrange users to groups at any time.
- Click the "Add" button and the list of all email invitees will below under their respective groups.
- You can review all of your emails invites according to their groups, once you've verified this select the "Send Invite" button in the lower right-hand corner to send email invites for access to your ScreenCloud account.
Please note: sending an invite will trigger an automatic email to be sent to the end-users inbox with instructions on how to create their login credentials and sign in to the account you've added them to. If your end-user is having trouble receiving ScreenCloud emails, please click here or review the troubleshooting inviting people section below.
In addition, if a user is already on an existing ScreenCloud organization or has additional invites pending, they will be greeted with a landing page that displays outstanding invites and existing accounts which they have accepted invites for already.
1.3. Troubleshooting inviting people
If you're having any challenges with the following scenarios while inviting new people (i.e. users) to your ScreenCloud account, please follow our referenced support articles on how to resolve them. You can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you continue to have user invite or login related issues, please send our team a screenshot of the error you're seeing and verify the email address you're trying to login with:
- Not receiving invite emails: this can happen if the end-user is using an email address that is monitored by their company or organization. There can be firewalls or email administration restrictions that could prevent the emails to successfully make it into an email inbox. This also could automatically filter the emails into the "Junk/Spam" folder. You can learn how to resolve not receiving ScreenCloud emails by clicking here.
- Receiving the error message "Email address is already in use" or using an email connected to an existing ScreenCloud account: this can happen if the end-user is using an email address that either is an owner of an existing ScreenCloud account or has previously accepted an invite to an existing ScreenCloud account. This means the system is linked to the email address with an existing login credential, so you should be able to accept new account invites by using your existing email address and log in by visiting "Already have an account" and selecting the "Log In" button. You can learn more about how to resolve using an existing email address with a ScreenCloud account invite by clicking here.
2. Groups: managing user roles and access
2.1. Groups overview
"Groups" is where you can manage and access permission roles for each type of user you add to your account. This helps you keep track of the user roles you've granted easily by keeping them sorted in groups pertaining to each type of user-permission available in ScreenCloud.
You can create different groups with permissions according to job titles, responsibilities, management, or location based on your preference for each. You can also control which groups have access to Spaces for managing specific screens, channels, playlists, and media. For example, you can create a Billing group with access to every Space with admin permissions to access payment information or marketing groups with access to certain Spaces for adding media.
2.2. Groups permissions
Below are the four user permission settings which you can group any users you've invited to your account into for access to specific features or settings. Please note, ownership is assigned automatically to the user who initially created a ScreenCloud account.
i) Admin: this permission grants you access to do anything within an organization or Space besides set account owners or delete the organization. This permission provides access to billing information for the account.
ii) Manager: this permission allows you to manage or modify all of the screens and content in the Spaces you're assigned to.
For example, if your company has five spaces allocated for each office managed across different locations (e.g. one office in New York, another in California, etc.) then the manager can have access to any of those spaces per location they are assigned to. If the Manager is assigned to only certain Spaces, these are the only teams/segments they will have access to. There is no administrative or billing access with this group, they only have access to modify what is playing live on screens and manage content.
iv) Viewer: this permission allows the user only to view screens, content, and areas of the account. This can be used to provide a colleague with access to an account so they can review something without having any functions to edit or change anything. This can be used to add any user (i.e. People) to view a managed Space (i.e. team).
For example, you're working on a digital signage project with someone outside of your company that needs access to review channels (i.e. schedules) for an upcoming event, this permission can grant them access to strictly review the schedules only and restrict them making changes until a user with higher-access permission can update them. It keeps account functions available only to users which are given access based on their group(s) to alter or make changes to any screens, content, media, or settings within an account. There is no administrative or billing-related access to this group.
v) Publisher: this permission allows the user to publish content and view the screens and content in spaces they have access to. For example, publishers are useful for helping to review content and changes to your screens before they go live. This permission can be used to help coordinate changes and oversight to content before it's sent to your digital screens.
2.3. How to create groups
Get started by visiting https://studio.screencloud.com/groups. From here, click on the yellow "New Group" button.
- Create a name for your group. For example, you can create a "Marketing" group-specific for users added to your account that are involved in their respective departments. Click the yellow "Create Group" button.
- You can then begin to add users to your new group from the next menu. Click on "Add members" and you'll be prompted with a list of every member in your ScreenCloud account. Select the member(s) you'd like to checkmark and add to your group by clicking "Confirm".
- Once your users have been added to the group, click on "Permissions" to assign their access to your ScreenCloud account.
- There are two options for granting permissions to groups:
i) Org-wide permissions: by selecting this option for a group, you grant the group access to every Space in your organization with specific permissions. This will allow any users in the group to switch between any Space (i.e. team or segment) created in your ScreenCloud account. Once you click "Grant Access", you can choose the type of role for the group.
ii) Space-Specific Permissions: by selecting "Add Permission" for a group, you grant the group access to only select Spaces which users can switch between in your ScreenCloud account. You can allow groups access for any amount of spaces you'd like, and set different permissions for each space.
- You can select one or multiple groups at the same time to grant access to Spaces managed in your account. Once you've confirmed which Spaces the group can access, click "Confirm" to set permissions for Space(s) selected.
- Next, select the permission for the group. This will give every user in this group with access to the Spaces selected the ability to perform certain functions.
For example, if you created a group that you assigned to two of your Spaces (e.g. Thailand and UK teams as pictured below) and granted them "Creator" access. The "Marketing" group created will have access to these two spaces only in your account and can only create new content and update existing content, as per the "Creator" permission.
You can also assign groups to additional spaces with different permissions. For example, you can use "Space-Specific Permissions" to add another group (e.g. USA team) and grant them access to alternate permissions between Spaces. The screenshot below examples a group with creator permissions for the Thailand space, with manager permissions for the UK and USA spaces.
- Once you're done setting permissions, the new group will be listed at https://studio.screencloud.com/groups. Please note, you can change or remove users or permissions from groups at any time. You can learn more by clicking here.
2.4. How to add people into groups
You can add people (i.e. users) to groups while inviting them or after you invite them to an account by visiting https://studio.screencloud.com/groups. This can be done by performing the following:
- Adding users to a group while sending an invite email: you can assign a new user to any group(s) during the invite process from https://studio.screencloud.com/people. Please note, you can add the same user into multiple groups by using the "Invite people by email" function with their email address to continue adding them into any group managed in your account.
- Adding users to a group after they accept an invite email: you can add users to groups directly at https://studio.screencloud.com/groups. Click on any group to edit it, then use the "Add Members" option to select and assign users into the group.
After you select the users you'd like to add to the group, click the yellow "Confirm" button to grant access.
3. Spaces: manage screens, content, and media between teams
3.1. Spaces overview
"Spaces" is where you can manage and create separate teams in your ScreenCloud account. Spaces are a collection of screens, channels, playlists, and media available to a specific group of users. For example, if you have an office in New York and another in California, you can create Spaces individually for each location to manage content, screens, and data for each respectively.
3.2. How to create and manage spaces
Get started by visiting https://studio.screencloud.com/spaces. From here, click on the yellow "New Space" button.
- Create a name for your Space. For example, you can create a "US" space specific for users added to your account that are part of your team based in the United States, you can follow this for any locations, teams, and departments respectively. Click the yellow "Create Space" button.
- Please note, if you've already created groups that have org-wide access, you will see them automatically noted with access to any new Spaces which you've created in your account. For example, the three groups pictured below (Billing, Customer Development, Editors & Contractors) were groups created with org-wide permissions to access any space. These three would automatically display for any new Space created in your account as they have specific permissions across every Space managed, including the number of members from each group.
Once you're done, you can click the "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the pop-up window to return to your Spaces dashboard.
- Once your Spaces are created, you can switch between and manage them by using the left-hand navigation of your ScreenCloud account. For example, the picture below shows that I'm currently accessing the "LA, USA" Space. The side-bar selector can be used to switch between any of your spaces managed. Please note, only users with org-wide and space-specific permissions will be able to use this feature for switching between the spaces they're granted access to.
Please note, for users of multiple spaces you're able to specify which space you'd like to land on automatically when you log into your ScreenCloud Studio account. This feature is not available if you're only part of one space. The default behavior is that you'll land on the last accessed space until you specify a "Default Space" in your account settings. For example, if you're part of five different spaces in your account and want to always see "HQ Space" automatically, this will enable you to always access that space each time you log into your account.
4. General FAQs & how-tos
Please note, if any of these features do not work, we recommend using an alternative web browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Other web browsers are not recommended to use for ScreenCloud's website. Please visit web browsers to use with ScreenCloud for more information.
- Adding a new member
- Deleting a new member
- Making a member into an owner
- Removing an owner from your account
- Cancel an invite
- Resend an invite
- Adding a new group
- Deleting a group
- Assigning a permission
- Changing or deleting permissions
- Assigning a user to a group
- Removing a user from a group
- Change or edit a group name
- Adding a new space
- Deleting a space
- Switching between spaces
- Change or edit a space name
- Transfer screens between spaces
Visit the "People" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on "Invite People" to begin adding a new user.
Deleting a member
Visit the "People" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on the three-vertical dot button to delete a user. Click on "Delete Member" to remove the user from your ScreenCloud account. You can also click on any user and delete them using the trash can icon as well.
Next, confirm the deletion by clicking the red "Remove" button.
Making a member into an owner
Visit the "People" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on the three-vertical dot button next to any user. From here, select "Make Owner" to make the user an owner of your account. Please note, they'll be listed under https://studio.screencloud.com/people/owners as an owner for the ScreenCloud account.
Removing an owner from your account
Visit the "Owners" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on the three-vertical dot button next to any user. From here, select "Remove as owner".
Next, confirm the removal by clicking the yellow "Confirm" button to revoke owner access. Please note, this does not delete the user from your account, it only removes them as an org-wide owner.
Cancel an invite
Visit the "People" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on the three-horizontal dots button next to any user invite and select "Cancel Invite". Please note, this will revoke any original invite sent to a user and will make the email they received invalid to gain access to your ScreenCloud account.
Resend an invite
Visit the "People" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on the three-horizontal dots button next to any user invite and select "Resend invite". Please note, user invites expire after a 24-hour period automatically for security purposes to keep your account safe. If you're having an issue accepting an expired invite, re-sending the invite will prompt a new activation time period for the user to accept and log into the ScreenCloud account.
Adding a new group
Visit the "Groups" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on the yellow "New Group" button to create a new group.
Deleting a group
Visit the "Groups" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on the three vertical dots button next to any of your groups. From here, select "Delete group".
Next, confirm the deletion of the group by clicking the red "Remove" button.
Assigning a permission
Visit the "Groups" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on any group. From here, select "Permissions" and you can use the org-wide or space-specific settings to set permissions for the group.
Changing or deleting permissions
Visit the "Groups" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on any group. From here, you can either add new permissions or delete permissions.
You can add permissions by hovering and clicking on the "+" icon.
You can delete permissions by hovering over the "X" icon listed next to any org-wide or space-specific permission and clicking this to remove the access.
Assigning a user to a group
Visit the "Groups" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on any group. Then use the "Add Members" option to select and assign users into the group.
After you select the users you'd like to add to the group, click the yellow "Confirm" button to grant access.
Removing a user from a group or space
Visit the "Groups" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on any group. Select the "Members" tab and hover over any user to reveal an "X" icon to the right. Click on this to delete the user from your group.
Assigning groups to spaces
Visit the "Groups" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on any group. Select the "Permissions" tab and you can start to assign space-specific access and permissions.
Click on "Add Permission" and you can begin to select any space you'd like to give access to this group. and permissions for the group. Please note, any members which are part of this group will have access to the spaces selected. Once you're done selecting the spaces, click the yellow "Next" button.
Next, select the permission you'd like to grant this group while accessing the space. Click the yellow "Confirm" button.
You've now assigned this group to access specific spaces.
Removing groups from spaces
Visit the "Groups" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on any group. Select the "Permissions" tab and hover over any of your space-specific permissions. Click on the "X" which appears next to any permission to remove the group from having access to any space.
Change or edit a group name
Visit the "Groups" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on any group. Hover over the name of your group to reveal a pencil icon, click on this to highlight and make changes to the group name.
Adding a new space
Visit the "Spaces" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on the yellow "New Space" to get started.
Deleting a space
Visit the "Spaces" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on the three vertical dots button next to any Space. Click on "Delete".
Next, confirm the removal by clicking the red "Remove" button to delete the space. Please note, this will delete all data, screens, and media managed under the team/segment in your ScreenCloud account. We recommend downloading any important media, transferring/sharing any channels or playlists, and any other applicable information before deleting a space.
Switching between spaces
If you're an owner, admin, or have space-specific permissions, you can switch between teams by using the left-hand toggle while logged into your ScreenCloud account. Click on your name in the lower left-hand corner and you can use the space selector to switch between them.
Change or edit a space name
Visit the "Spaces" section of your ScreenCloud account and click on any space. Hover over the name of your space to reveal a pencil icon, click on this to highlight and make changes to the space name.
Transfer screens between spaces
You can transfer screens between the "Spaces" managed in your ScreenCloud account. Please note, only users with permissions in both spaces, or general permissions required to manage spaces, can transfer screens. If you're having trouble transferring screens, please visit here to review your permissions.
To action transferring a screen to another space, visit your "Screens" section. From here, hover and click on the three-horizontal dots setting button next to any of your screens. Select the "Transfer" option.
Next, you can select from your Spaces available in the drop-down menu. Please note, you can only move screens between Spaces that are under the same billing. If you're using ScreenCloud's Space-Based Billing feature, you won't be able to transfer screens between Spaces which billing is managed separately.
Once you've selected a space, click on "I understand, transfer this screen" to action the transfer.
You'll receive a confirmation notice once the screen has successfully transferred to another space.
If you have any additional questions on People, Groups, and Spaces, or any other questions or feedback about ScreenCloud, feel free to reach out to our support team at email@example.com or give us a call at our toll-free support line at +18885575335.