This article will briefly cover an overview, benefits, and resources about the GraphQL API tools available for use with ScreenCloud. If you are a developer or have experience using these types of services, you can visit https://developer.screen.cloud/ directly to get started.
Table of contents:
What can the GraphQL service do?
With our GraphQL feature, anything you do manually in ScreenCloud Studio can be done automatically using code. This lets your team integrate your existing systems much more tightly into ScreenCloud. For example, you could:
- Automate repetitive tasks like creating/removing users in your ScreenCloud spaces.
- Automatically cast key content to screens at specific times based on events in your company (e.g. show when you hit certain sales figures)
- Dynamically add and remove content from Channels, such as pushing alerts designed in Canvas when your systems trigger certain events.
- Play specific content based on the weather, or holidays within your region.
- Automatically add new content to a channel from a Dropbox folder
- Send commands to your screens from Microsoft Teams or Slack
An API is a simple way to let one machine talk to another.
GraphQL is an open standard for making APIs, pioneered by Facebook, and used by developers across the internet. ScreenCloud's GraphQL API, therefore, lets your developers write code to do any task you need in ScreenCloud, in a way that's instantly familiar and recognizable for them.
For general resources on learning the fundamentals and basics of GraphQL, we recommend checking out the following sites or articles below. Please note, these sources are not affiliated with ScreenCloud and are included here to learn more about GraphQL, it’s functionality, and its advantages.
Where can I find documentation to start using the API with ScreenCloud?
Our development team at ScreenCloud has created resources directly tailored to assist and help you get started with using our API services. Please visit https://developer.screen.cloud/ for guidance and step-by-step instructions to get started using ScreenCloud’s API. You have the choice to either use our GraphQL API or develop your own custom applications.
Please note, we have APIs available for both of our platforms respectively. ScreenCloud Studio is our latest (starting 2019) and ScreenCloud Signage (2015) is our older deprecated digital signage platform. Depending on the service you’re using, we advise to use the API specific to each.
What type of support or experience is required to use the API?
Our team is here to help you and advise to the best of our ability, though we don’t have resources or training available to teach step-by-step how to use GraphQL or developer tools if you have no prior knowledge of coding. This requires a level of experience or training from a developer within your organization or your own personal understanding of the language or tools available. If you have any specific questions while using the API or developer services, please contact email@example.com directly and provide us with the following information:
- The exact command or use case you’re looking to achieve using the API
- A file or copy of your current/modified code for our team to review
- Clarify the challenge or issue you’re having with the modified code
If you need developer support to create the perfect custom integrations for your business or want to create your own App for ScreenCloud, contact ScreenCloud Professional Services for their GraphQL consulting and Bespoke Application Development services.
If you have any additional questions on using ScreenCloud’s API tools, or any other questions or feedback about ScreenCloud, feel free to reach out to our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at our toll-free support line at +18885575335.